Sunday, March 23, 2014

Vanuatu with the Rents -- BEING ON THE ISLAND

To continue my 15+ post discussion of my vacation ... (But it looks so nice!!) I'm going to talk about having my parents on the island with me. We had a lot of fun on the island. I took them walking around through all the villages and we went to lots of feasts. I showed them all of the plants on the island and my mom even got to scratch some manioc for laplap in Lakilia village! 




This is what my beach looks like ... Stones, stones, stones.


Mom and Dad on the road to Lehunatam (the field where the school and the dispensary are.)




Here we are, just having had lunch at school. The woman on the far right is Elsie Daniel, my supremely lovely counterpart. She's the head teacher at the school and absolutely incredible. She just had her third child, a little girl called Renata, who is absolutely darling. Also in the photo, from the right, Steeve, Kiki, Winnie, Lesbet, me, Erica, and my mom. The shed in the back is where the school keeps its tools.


Christmas Eve dinner ... Dry manioc, baked beans, and steamed yam laplap. (Oh, yum.)

Xmas in Mu'ur village.





Watching people play seven lock -- kind of like Uno, but with cards



Oh no, we have to leave!


No comments:

Post a Comment