Sunday, July 20, 2014

Easter Monday

This is a few months back ... I'm not that good at writing lots of posts when I'm in town.

Easter on Tongariki is OK. I prefer American Easter. During Holy Week, there's church or study every day, and on Easter Sunday, obviously there's church too, but nobody does anything special besides it. It's not like Christmas where there are big lavets in the nakamal for a month at a time. It feels almost like an after thought. 


We have the day off from school, though, and most families use Easter Weekend to do cookouts down by the ocean. Some families even establish little camps down there, setting up tarps and bringing down food and kava. It's a nice way to spend a few days, roasting yams, frying up fish, and drinking kava by the water.


I went down on Easter Monday and spent the day with my counterpart's family and all of the family from Lakilia, Tavia, and Muura. 



[Elsie and smol Renata]


[I fell and scraped my foot. Since, you know, kava is medicine and stuff ... I tried to chew a shell.]


[It went rather poorly. So Hancy, aged 11, finished chewing my shell for me.]


[Greg and Rexzdon dance a little. They were being such goofballs--Greg, it only takes the slightest bit of encouragement and he hams it up all the way. He's such a funny little kid.]

No comments:

Post a Comment