Monday, August 5, 2013

Tongariki boys doing kastom dance from Pentecost

Here are some boys from Class 3 doing a kastom dance from Pentecost, which is the long, skinny island up north where they do land diving. I am terrible (I know, I know) and I don't have everyone's name perfect yet. On the left is Kalron, my neighbor, who comes from the generally most attractive family on the island; in the middle is my kid brother Morris, looking like a rock star, as per usual, and on the far right is a kid whose name I have temporarily forgotten as I'm away from the island. (I'm writing this on 5/20 in town--I've been away for a bit.)

This dance was great. So the boys used brooms made of coconut leaves to sword play, essentially. They're wearing modern variations on kastom wear--skirts made out of pandanas, yep, but shorts on underneath. Hey, kastom continues, but life moves on ...

No comments:

Post a Comment