Thursday, July 11, 2013

Coming into Town



I turn into an indecisive moron every time I come into town. Most of the PCVs in my group frequent about seven or eight restaurants total (Nambawan, Jill's, Island Time, Spice, Brewery, Chill, Sea View--and can Au Bon/Chinese stores count as number eight?) so it's not as if there is an enormous bonanza of choices. When we go out drinking, we go to Brewery, Anchor Inn, Grand. When we go out dancing, my group goes to Elektro Rock, Voodoo, maybe Shakers.

And yet somehow after coming off the island my brain is stupid. The idea that ground beef is even a thing--much less that there are like five decent places to get a hamburger--is just totally overwhelming. At site, I eat fish a few times a week. Maybe a few times a month I eat tinned meat. Maybe once a month, someone kills a chicken or a pig and I eat that. And town, I can eat fresh beef and cheese and bread? Man, I don't have any of that.

'I guess that's the secret--miss out on a few staples, like bread, for a while, and all of a sudden, everything is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment