Thursday, May 23, 2013

Going back to site

Tomorrow morning I'm going to fly out to Epi Island to visit the girls out there, and then hopefully I'll take the boat down to Tongariki sometime next week. This means no internet, spotty phone service, no cheese/beer/bread/sweets/et cetera for another three months until the end of August, but I've set my blog to upload pictures and blog posts. I'm pretty excited to go back, since I've got a good idea of the projects that I want to do this next term. I'll still be teaching English lessons every day, but I want to get started on moving the library over into a bigger, more usable space; introducing dialogue journals with the older students; working with teachers for health and science lessons; vamping up our PE program; hopefully laying the foundation to do part or all of the gender-based violence workshop... And then I have other smaller goals, like learning how to weave a mat, learning how to cook gato (like a donut) and bread, getting more into yoga, and finally learning some of the language hymns at church.

Excited and ready to go!



(Half of how I spend my life -- please note the beautiful island hair and the ever present tank top.)

2 comments:

  1. When you figure out what gato is, please explain it and post a recipe. Do you have access to manioc flour? If so, you can probably make Brazilian Pao de queso. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Russell-I'm a PCV w/ Amanda in Vanuatu :) I found this recipe online for gato:

    Gato (doughnuts)

    5 cups flour 1 cup sugar 1 tablespoon yeast
    2 cups water (or 2 cups coconut milk) oil

    Mix flour, sugar and yeast. Make the water hot, but not too much. Add dry ingredients until the dough is soft and wet. Cover up bowl and leave it for 30 minutes until it rises. Heat oil (deep frying style). You can make balls or make them into doughnut shapes. Fry on each side until done.

    ReplyDelete